Last summer, my poor little 4′ x 6′ greenhouse was massacred by a windstorm. The thing had survived at least half a dozen named tropical storms, yet, it was taken out by a run-of-the-mill weather disturbance that lasted an hour, at most. I was bummed, but at the same time, I was glad that it gave me an excuse to upgrade.
My new 6′ x 8′ greenhouse kit arrived last Wednesday. The timing was great, considering it had only been a few days since the last of the snow melted. Seriously! It was a winter that didn’t want to quit.
On Thursday, Mom and I loosely assembled the structure, then we carted it all over the back yard so that we could see where it would work best. We decided on a location close to the back patio. It’s somewhat sheltered from the wind, it gets full sun, and
most importantly, there is enough privacy so that I can go out there in my pyjamas early in the morning and not be seen.
The chosen location.
The spot we chose was not level. The front was much lower than the back, so, I spent Thursday evening, and much of Friday digging down the back, and moving soil to the front.
On Saturday morning, I sent my Dad to pick up some 8″ x 8″ post from a salvage yard. They were the perfect size to create foundation walls (and a level floor) in the hole I had spent two days digging.
The foundation walls.
After the foundation walls were set in place, the hole was filled with gravel that was left over from another project. By this time, the wheelbarrow tire was as flat as a pancake, so, Dad used the bucket of his tractor to transport the gravel. That was a bad idea! The tractor wheels sunk a good foot or more into the lawn (because it was so wet from the recent snowmelt).
The gravel floor.
I had considered putting a wooden deck/floor in there, but decided to try the gravel first. It can easily be changed later if I don’t like it the way it is.
To prevent grass and weeds from growing up through the floor, we placed a tarp between the first and second loads of gravel.
On Sunday, we secured the frame to the foundation wall—the six legs were screwed to it, and the bottom cross bar of metal frame was tied (in four places) to cord cleats that were screwed into the wood. That thing ain’t going nowhere!
Next, the three of us put on the ClearView® cover. I then put in some of the shelves I had from my last greenhouse. After 4 days of “construction”, the greenhouse was finally ready for my seedlings!
The greenhouse has been up for 5 days now. My seedlings have spent a grand total of 9 hours in it. It’s still soooooo cold on Cape Breton Island.